Tuesday, December 6, 2011

My thoughts on Technology

Growing up Online: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/kidsonline/view/



These are two videos I watched while in college and the following is my review on them:

Growing up online did make me incredibly nervous for parenting teens in the near future. I don’t feel like this is anything new my mother, grandmother, and those before them experienced their own struggles raising teens in an ever changing world. I laugh thinking back to my generation and the parents who wouldn’t let their teens watch MTV or who said having a pager meant you were dealing drugs. I think this video highlights the points that as parents and future educators we need to stay informed, learn how to stay connected with our children, and adapt the way we teach to capture imaginations.

Digital Nation’s narrator summed up the way I feel best about our digital world, “I love the possibilities of digital life…. But most of all I love being able to turn it off!” I loved how the movie pointed out that sometimes the price of gain is to lose something that may have once worked but now is no longer needed. I thought that Principal Jason Levy was amazing and creating a remarkable paradigm shift in educating students. I think it is critical that we realize that children’s education does have a somewhat different purpose and their futures will be immersed in technology.


No comments:

Post a Comment